MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

Life as we know it........as told by Heather

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Sesame Street!

I'm sure I've never told you all how much I love Sesame Street. I watched it every day when I was little and my favorite character was Snuffleupagus. As a new mom I was secretly excited to watch Sesame Street with my kids so I could see it myself and sing along to the fun songs. But guess what? My kids don't like Sesame Street.

***GASP***

Xander had a Sesame Street video with a bunch of their popular songs on it that we got him as a baby. We used to let him watch it when he was in his bouncer and we thought he liked it. But when it came time to watch it on TV he'd have nothing to do with it. Jordis will watch it if you tell her it's Sesame Street or nothing, but she's not a fan either.

But being the fan I am I couldn't let Sesame Street's 40th birthday go by unnoticed. I went to the library and got a Sesame Street video that I forced the kids to watch. I also (against my better judgment because white bread is BAD) let them eat sandwiches made with some of Jason's white bread since it had sesame seeds on it. I even made them cookies that looked like Cookie Monster. I'm talking homemade dough, rolled out and cut, made my own frosting, the whole nine yards. I even had out my decorator tools so I could pipe on the frosting to look wiry like fur, but the button broke off.

At any rate, I thought my cookies were pretty cute.


But Xander decided otherwise.

Xander: What are those supposed to be?
Mom: Cookie Monster.
Xander: Hmph. Doesn't look like cookie monster. The eyes are funny and his mouth doesn't look like that.
Mom: You could be happy that I'm letting you have cookies at all since it's not a special occasion. Xander: Are the cookies all for me?
Mom: No. I thought you didn't like them anyway.
Xander: Well they might be okay, they just don't look right.

I don't know why I'm surprised. I'm the kid who leaned over to my mom at the theater during Fantasia to tell her "This movie is dumb. Brooms can't dance." Apparently Xander is going to be a realist, just like his Mommy.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Okay, Heather, your cookies are absolutely adorable! Love them. Also too cute that you let them eat bread with sesame seeds on it.

Bummer that they don't like Sesame Street. I am also a huge fan, it's the best kids show ever, a total classic.