MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

Life as we know it........as told by Heather

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We did it!



It took 18 months, 3 school evaluations, an outside evaluation and lots of paper work, but Xander FINALLY qualified for the special needs preschool in our district. They are opening a brand new room at his school with a new teacher, so even though the school year has already started he'll be coming in at the same time as the other kids, hopefully October 22nd. There will only be 12 kids so he should get lots of attention.

This also means that he can now receive services from MRDD, so we're super excited to see what that process is going to achieve.

I'm not sure how he'll take to riding the bus, but I guess we'll find out soon. I'll have to stand out in the driveway with my camera (crying, of course) and hope he doesn't do what I did the first week my mom tried to put me on the bus.

I am sad that he's going away (I know, it's a whole 2 1/2 hours 4 days a week), but it will be so good for him socially and will hopefully get him ready to be mainstreamed in the next few years. It will also give me the opporutnity to spend one-on-one time with Jordis, so we may start going to story time at the library. Xander never wanted to be there and I was always trying to keep him from leaving. I think Jordis will love it.

1 comment:

my stay-at-home-momma drama said...

So glad this finally happened!

Lisa

P.S. We love storytime at the library! Maybe we could meet each other there.