MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

Life as we know it........as told by Heather

Monday, December 15, 2008

Tag, I'm it!

Lisa says I should answer these questions, so why not?

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?I like both of these drinks, but egg nog does not like me, so hot chocolate is my choice most often. Especially with my mom's homemade mix. And her homemade marshmallows. Or marshmallow creme. Or store-bought marshmallows. I really like marshmallow.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree?Everything is always wrapped. I get my wrapping paper after Christmas for the following year. And since I was precocious as a child and had to know why Santa had the same paper as my parents, and how his handwriting on the tags was the same as my mom's, I had to be prepared. Now I try to make sure each of the kids' gifts from Santa is in specific paper. The paper always has Santas on it, and they each get a different style. That way we know who got what, and no handwriting is involved.

Colored Lights on tree or white?
I have white lights on two of my trees and colored on a 3rd.

When do you put your decorations up?
usually the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I got a little behind this year. Had trouble finding lights on a white cord to go on our new white tree.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
When I was a kid my mom used to make homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Now I look forward to the pee wees Jason's parents make. And I love my eggnog fruit salad.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
My aunt used to live on a farm in Radnor and we would go there on Christmas Eve. I loved her old house and spending time with everyone because that was the only time I usually got to see my cousins.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I still harrass my cousin Carol about this but she's the one that told me. I'm an only child so probably would have believed forever. I said something one Christmas about Santa and she said, "you don't really still believe in him, do you?" Of course I said that I didn't, but then I asked my mom. And once the truth set in I realized that the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy were probably not real either. I was really sad.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No, but my mom used to let me when I lived at home.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Used to be that all the ornaments went on one tree. This year I got a white tree that I'm going to go out and buy ornaments for after Christmas so I can get the fancy ones at a good price. Then I took all of my regular ornamnets and put the ones that were the most red and green on the white tree. I let the kids use the rest to put on a tree for them in the toy room. I put all of Jason's police ornaments on our 3 foot tree and then our tabletop tree has all of our travel ornaments on it. We try to get an ornament every time we go out of town.

Can you ice skate?
Yes, I LOVE ice skating. I actually took lessons. I haven't been since I had kids though so not sure how I'd be now.

Do you remember your favorite gift?
I've had lots of favorites.

What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
being with family and teaching my kids what it's all about

What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I like all kinds. I love to just sit in front of a tray of Christmas cookies. I also like pie. My grandma used to make homemade coconut cream and chocolate cream pies so I like to try to make a homemade coconut cream pie every year.

What is your favorite tradition?
We don't really have any per se. With having 3 sets of families and working around everyone's work schedules we don't always do the same thing every year.

Do you prefer giving or receiving?
I love to give presents. I'd give more if I had more money.

What is your favorite Christmas song?
I like a bunch and most of them aren't secular. Some of my favorites are Happy Christmas by John Lennon, 2000 Miles by the Pretenders, Someday at Christmas by Stevie Wonder and Baby It's Cold Outside by Dean Martin

Candy canes Yum or Yuck?
I like the little ones. A little goes a long way.

Ever recycled a Christmas present?I don't think so.

No comments: