MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

Life as we know it........as told by Heather

Monday, November 10, 2008

I'll miss you, Heather



I came back from vacation to discover that one of my favorite news anchors passed away while I was gone. Odd, I'm sure, that I will actually miss this woman I never had the chance to meet. But I did always feel some kind of connection with her. We had the same first name, obviously. We both enjoyed working in the media, we both had little boys at about the same time, and we were both cancer survivors.

But in her case, the cancer returned, and was metastatic. Though you'd never have known it to watch her. She rarely missed work and was very upfront with her audience, even trying out new wigs and asking for opinions on how they looked. I've heard that during chemotherapy she would sometimes get sick during commercials and be back at the anchor desk by the time they were over. She never looked for sympathy but instead used her position to champion efforts for fundraising. Not just for her own illness, but for sick children as well.

Click on the link below to find all kinds of photos and links, including a special video tribute about Heather. She was well loved in the community and will be dearly missed.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/heatherpick/index.html

1 comment:

Kate said...

It's so sad! She started my morning... First thing I saw at 5am! The tribute they had on tv was so sad! I feel the same way you do :(