MAYHEM IN THE MIDWEST

Life as we know it........as told by Heather

Monday, June 1, 2009

This little light of mine



So I had both of the kids with me at the grocery store on Friday afternoon. I usually try to avoid such a set-up because in most instances I end up having to leave before I have everything on my list. However, due to the way our week played out I didn't have much choice.

We were doing *fairly* well (for us) and I was hoping to breeze through the produce section and be out of there when Xander started to sing "This Little Light of Mine" at the top of his lungs.

It was LOUD.
Think high ceilings, echoing, reverberation, etc.

Part of me wanted to shush him because he was being obnoxiously loud and the other part of me was thinking that Jesus would really be pleased with Xander promoting Christianity. Psalm 34:1 instructs, "I will EXTOL the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips," so, he was doing what the bible says without even knowing it. And because of that, and the fact that I knew he'd sing louder if I asked him to stop, and knowing we'd be leaving soon anyway...I let him sing.

As I was standing over the strawberries checking for mold, someone came up behind me and said, "Excuse me ma'am, could you please quiet down your child?" Thankfully it was my friend from MOPS, who was totally kidding. She said she had heard the little voice singing and just had to come and see where it was coming from.

Our little man definitely has his own light, and he makes sure everyone sees it. Such a special little boy he is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mathew 5:16, "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heaven"


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Heather, I got chills reading this precious little story. I love that you just let him sing. It's so nice to just let it go once in awhile and be in the moment and not worry what others are thinking. I was angry for about 2.5 seconds until I read that it was a friend from Mops that said that to you! : )